Archive for June, 2016

 

osTicket ‘Access denied’ after upgrade to 1.9.14

After uploading/copying the files from the upload directory to a osTicket installation in order to upgrade it to osTicket 1.9.14, I got the error message ‘Access denied’ when trying to login as administrator to finalize the upgrade. Deleting the osTicket session cookie did not help either.

It turned out that the problem was that all files in the distribution ZIP-file had file permission ‘000’ causing the trouble. A ls -l looked like this:

---------- 1 webNNN clientX 5162 jun 11 18:22 login.php
---------- 1 webNNN clientX 980 jun 11 18:22 logo.php
---------- 1 webNNN clientX 714 jun 11 18:22 logout.php
---------- 1 webNNN clientX 1584 jun 11 18:22 main.inc.php
---------- 1 webNNN clientX 930 jun 11 18:22 offline.php
---------- 1 webNNN clientX 2830 jun 11 18:22 open.php

A simple fix was needed. Make sure you are in the upload folder of the unpacked distribution zip when you do this:

chmod 644 `find . -type f -print`

Share

Posted by on June 20th, 2016 No Comments

What is eating my disc and fontworker is eating my CPU (in OSX)?

A Mac suddenly displayed the message “Your startup disk is almost full” to the user. However, there should be plenty of space left on the disk. Something was eating up the disk rapidly.

Some investigation using Activity Monitor showed that a process called fontworker was also eating a large chunk of the CPU as well. In the Terminal I entered the command:

cd /
sudo du -sm *

to find out what folder was using most space (the command requires admin privileges so it will prompt you for the administrator password). I then entered:

cd the-folder-name
sudo du -sm *

to find out what was using most space in the largest folder (replaced by “the-folder-name” in the example above). I repead the steps until I found a large file containing the fonts database occupying about 85 GB which is way more than normal.

It turned out the fonts cache had become corrupt.

To rebuild the font cache was easy. By simply restarting the computer into Safe mode and then reboot it back into normal mode, the font cache was cleared and rebuilt, solving both the disc and CPU problem.

Problem with the fonts sometimes occurs after OSX reinstall which in this particular case had been performed about a week ago.

Share

Posted by on June 12th, 2016 No Comments